St George

The Roman Catholic parish of Worcester dates back to a Jesuit mission founded in 1590. St George’s was built in 1828/29, by local architect Henry Rowe, on the site of a previous church. His building was a simple rectangular shape of which the red brick side walls remain.

The elaborate façade was probably added in 1887 by S J Nicholl who had also added the chancel in 1880. There was further interior re-modelling in the early 20th century. Edward Elgar was organist here from 1885 to 1888, he succeeded his father, William, who was organist from 1841 to 1885.

The Society of Jesus (Jesuits) served the church for 400 years before handing it to the Archdiocese of Birmingham in 1990. 

Situated on a busy road junction on the north east edge of the city centre, St George’s is usually open during daylight hours.